Scots Roots


MacLeod’s Stone (Clach MhicLeoid), Isle of Harris
January 22, 2015, 12:46 pm
Filed under: Photographs, Scottish History | Tags: , ,

MacLeod’s Stone 1MacLeod’s Stone is more than 3 metres tall and stands on a small hill at the north end of the beautiful Traigh Iar beach on the west coast of the Isle of Harris, overlooking the small island of Taransay.

Erected more than 4,500 years ago, its purpose is now unclear but it may have been part of a calendrical system or it may just have been a navigational aid to guide boats into the bay.

It was later named after the local clan chief and was possibly a rallying point for the clan.

MacLeod’s Stone 2

More pictures are available at Ancient Scotland.

Copyright © Scots Roots Research 2015



Calton Hill Monuments

Calton HillAt the east end of Princes Street in Edinburgh, lies Calton Hill, a favourite spot for locals and tourists because it provides panoramic views of Princes Street and the castle to the west, the Firth of Forth to the north and Holyrood Palace and Salisbury Crags to the south.

Calton Hill is also the location of several iconic monuments and buildings including:

National Monument

The National Monument

The National Monument of Scotland is Scotland’s national memorial to the Scottish soldiers and sailors who died fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. Designed during 1823 – 1826 by Charles Robert Cockerell and William Henry Playfair, it was modelled on the Parthenon in Athens and building started in 1826. However, due to lack of funds, it was left unfinished in 1829.

Nelson Monument

The Nelson Monument

The Nelson Monument is a commemorative tower built in honour of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson between 1807 and 1815 to commemorate Nelson’s victory over the French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, and his death at that battle.

Dugald Stewart

Dugald Stewart Monument

The Dugald Stewart Monument is a memorial to the Scottish philosopher Dugald Stewart (1753–1828) and was completed in August 1831. Dugald Stewart was a professor of moral philosophy at the University of Edinburgh.

City Observatory

City Observatory

The City Observatory is an astronomical observatory situated at the top of the hill. Inspired by a Greek temple of the Four Winds, the building was designed by William Henry Playfair in 1818.The largest dome on the site is the City Dome in the northeast corner.

Calton Hill

Click on Edinburgh for more pictures.




%d bloggers like this: