Scots Roots


Greyfriars Bobby
March 30, 2015, 2:41 pm
Filed under: Photographs, Scottish History | Tags: , ,

Greyfriars BobbyNot just the star of a Walt Disney film, Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye terrier in 19th century Edinburgh who became famous for guarding his master’s grave for 14 years.

His owner was John Gray, a night watchman, who died and was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard in 1858.

Bobby spent his days sitting on his master’s grave, leaving only on hearing the one o’clock gun when he would visit a local coffee shop where they would feed him his lunch.

In 1867 a new bye-law was passed requiring all dogs to be licensed.

The Lord Provost of Edinburgh, Sir William Chambers paid for Bobby’s licence, and gave him a collar which can now be seen in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh .

John Gray's grave

John Gray’s grave

Bobby died in 1872 and was buried near John Gray’s grave just inside the gate of Greyfriars Kirkyard.

Following his death, Lady Burdett-Coutts had a statue and fountain erected at the southern end of George IV Bridge to commemorate him.

Even today, people still leave flowers on Bobby’s grave.

Greyfriars Kirk

Greyfriars Kirk and Bobby’s grave.

Copyright © Scots Roots Research 2015



Rubh’ An Teampaill

Northton ChapelThis mediaeval chapel looks out across the Sound of Harris towards the Uists. It stands on a rocky headland, Rubh’ An Teampaill, near Northton on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides.

It was probably built in the 15th or 16th century and stands on the site of a much older broch, which is likely to have supplied most of the stones for the chapel.

Northton ChapelThe chapel has a small slit window in each wall with a door in the north wall.

Surrounding the chapel lie the remains of a graveyard thought to have been there since Viking times.

 

Northton Chapel




%d bloggers like this: