Scots Roots


Mons Meg
July 2, 2015, 8:56 am
Filed under: Photographs, Scottish History | Tags: , ,

Mons Meg 1Mons Meg 2One of the largest cannons in the world, Mons Meg was gifted to King James II of Scotland in 1457 by Duke Philip of Burgundy, probably in the hope that it would aid the Scots against the English.

The cannon, which could fire 150kg stone balls for up to two miles, was used in sieges until the middle of the 16th century. She could only be fired 8 – 10 times in a day because of the heat generated by the charge. James II was himself killed in 1460 during a siege on Roxburgh Castle when another of his cannon exploded.

Mons Meg 3After the mid 16th century, Mons Meg was only fired on ceremonial occasions but her own barrel burst in 1681 during a birthday salute to the Duke of Albany.

She remained in Edinburgh Castle until 1754 when she was taken to the Tower of London following the Jacobite uprising.

Mons Meg returned to Edinburgh in 1829 after a series of campaigns by Sir Walter Scott and the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

The restored Mons Meg can still be seen today on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle.

Mons Meg 4

Advertisements



%d bloggers like this: