Scots Roots


Dunrobin Castle Gardens
April 29, 2016, 9:20 am
Filed under: Photographs | Tags: ,

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 1Inspired by the gardens at the Palace of Versailles, Dunrobin Castle’s gardens were designed and built by the architect Sir Charles Barry, the designer of the Houses of Parliament, in 1850.

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 2

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 3The formal gardens below the castle are arranged in two parterres around circular pools with fountains.

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 4Although it is located in the north east of Scotland, the gardens still benefit from the warmth of the Gulf Stream as it sweeps through the Pentland Firth and into the North Sea.

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 5Dunrobin Castle Gardens 6Due to its sheltered position between the castle and the sea, the garden is able to support a surprising range of plants.

More information on the castle can be found at Dunrobin Castle.

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 7

Dunrobin Castle Gardens 8



Leamington Lift Bridge
April 16, 2016, 9:15 am
Filed under: Photographs, Scottish History | Tags: , ,

Leamington Lift Bridge 1Leamington Lift Bridge 2Leamington Lift Bridge 3This bridge was installed around 1906 to allow vehicles and people to cross the Union Canal at Fountainbridge in Edinburgh, replacing an older bridge built in 1869. In 1922, parts of the canal in central Edinburgh were filled in and the bridge was moved to its present site at Leamington Wharf.

By the 1960s the Leamington Lift Bridge had fallen out of use but it was refurbished when the canal was restored as part of the ‘Millenium Link’ project for the year 2000.

It was designed by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth of Newcastle for the canal owners, the North British Railway, and is the only surviving example of an electrical lifting bridge on the Union Canal.

The deck is raised between gantries on each side of the road so that boats can pass underneath.

Leamington Lift Bridge 4



Cill Chriosd
April 1, 2016, 11:06 am
Filed under: Photographs, Scottish History | Tags: , ,

Cill Chriosd 1Cill Chriosd 2Built around the 16th century to replace an earlier Mediaeval church, Cill Chriosd (Christ’s Church) stands on a mound in a remote valley on the road to Elgol on the Isle of Skye.

This was the parish church of Strathaird until 1840 when the parish church was located to nearby Broadford.

Pieces of the older church can still be seen built in to the west gable of the present church.

The valley in which Cill Chriosd is located was once a busy place with Skye marble being quarried on the opposite hillside from around 1700 until the outbreak of the First World War.

A small loch, Loch Cill Chriosd, is an important wildlife haven lying to the south west of the church.

Cill Chriosd 3

Cill Chriosd 4

 

 




%d bloggers like this: